Monday 23 February 2015

Post #2: These Things Remain Hidden

Questions, questions and more questions...


After having worked with children in various capacities, I have come to wonder why the opinions and feelings of young children seem to be shrugged off, or discredited based on the age of the child. It seems that we give much more validation to thoughts expressed by adults, professionals, and in our gender-biased world; the male population. I always shudder when I witness adults' reaction to a young child's concern - about something that seems insignificant in the eyes of the adult - regarded as "cute".  I think that the fears, hopes, joys and inquiries made by children are very valid, and must not only be taken seriously, but must be addressed concretely. The answers "it is so because I say", or "we are learning this because it's in the curriculum" do not suffice, and would not be tolerated by an adult, nor should they be tolerated by children.
Educator Aviva Dunsiger's blog is inspirational on many levels, one concrete one being her desire to address and run with the inquiries of her students. Aviva makes constant contributions to her students' interests, and is so willing to change her approach to meet the needs of her unique students. One particular blog post, in particular really captured my attention. Aviva discusses her distaste for Valentine's Day celebrations in the classroom, mostly for the disruption that it creates from planned classroom activities. (here). Instead, Aviva suggests a different celebration. She calls it "Kindness Catchers" and capitalizes on the kindness nuance of Valentine's Day, as opposed to the Hallmark consumerism ideal.  One of my favourite things about this change, is that Aviva was very interested in talking to her students about whether a Valentine's Day party was necessary, finding out what her students hoped to take from their ideal celebration of the holiday, and incorporating those aspects in a much more meaningful way. I appreciate this mentality on so many different levels, mostly because I believe that when the ideas and opinions of other's are validated and seriously considered, compromises are much more readily agreed upon.  
Furthermore, Aviva considered ways of impropriating the 21st century literacies within this redesigned Valentines Day activity. She encouraged her students to present their kindness catches using multimedia tools such as; PicCollage, iMovie, Explain Everything, or Puppet Pals. This way, students use technological literacy skills in combination with skills such as teamwork, collaboration, and abstract thinking. I think the value in this idea is immeasurable.
I value open discussion, and I believe that there is so much learning potential in creating dissonance, and open-mindedness for students. In my experience, situations that caused a little bit of friction, ones that did not sit well with my previous conceptions, and ones that really made me think have been so valuable, and have resulted in deeper level learning. This course for instance, has been challenging for me in its uniqueness. Lectures that take form in collaborative discussion, assignments that involve following and reading blogs written by innovative instructors, and the idea of no grades (no grades in fourth year of university?!) have challenged my, frustrated me, but ultimately altered the way in which I view teaching, and more importantly learning. While I still experience an element of politics within grading, I hope that one day we will be able to transcend this as well.
 In keeping with one of the most rational conflict management techniques, I think it is imperative to examine different lenses, and perspectives to a situation in order to reach a consensus. I believe that the Story Model Framework holds some of the secrets to understanding differences in ideals, values and perspectives. While there are some universal frameworks held by many people, ones which bind us and are mostly innately felt, rather than discussed, there are other, more individual/ micro scale factors. The "cultural", and "personal" are unique frameworks that people hold based on their personal experiences. I have had direct experience understanding how differences in opinion are attributed to personal experiences through the education course: Introduction to Teaching, Learning and Schooling. One of the assignments was a personal narrative presentation in which we discussed how our personal experiences have shaped how we approach education.  I was humbled and privileged to hear about some of the experiences of my peers, ones which unless mandated by the course assignment, I would not have had the opportunity to hear about.  This was a shocking way of learning about the "cultural", and "personal" frameworks, and how experiences pertain to these are rooted in the past and influence each educator's future story.
Ultimately, I think learning is most effective when it is meaningful, and is driven by student interest.  As these brilliant girls phrase it, often times, the greatest lessons are the ones you do not remember learning.





These students do such an exceptional job addressing issues that they see in the world, using a medium that is important and meaningful to them - poetry - and shed light on subjects that are not openly discussed with young people.




I think that it is infinitely important to create confidence in our students, to let them know that they must think critically, must take information and recreate it in new ways, generate new interests and most importantly ask questions. While the very structure of our world is ever changing, one important characteristic for 21st century citizenship is creativity and ability to restructure information in new ways. And I believe this begins with encouraging students to follow their personal interests from a very young age.


Thanks for reading,






Ana
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ana!

    First off thank you for such a thought provoking post! I follow Ava's blog as well and absolutely loved her idea of Kindness Catchers. I agree she is great at coming up with new and innovative ideas that meet the interests of her students. I had never really thought about how holidays such as Valentine's Day would really impact the structure of the classroom routine and planning of lessons. I feel that although the theme can be incorporated into lessons, it would be much more beneficial to actually ask the students what they wish to do in terms of celebrating, play games etc. This way students are provided with a voice and the teacher can acknowledge the perspective of each child!

    Just as you I was very weary about not receiving any grades for the assignments we have been taking part in thus far in the course. Although it is frustrating at times, I also find it to be a growing opportunity for myself in terms my own self-confidence in my work. Putting more focus on peer discussion and opportunities to question and explore new techniques or ideas in education have allowed me to reflect on myself as a learner and to not focus on just the visual grade.

    All the best,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana,

    Great post! I agree that adults are often so quick to push the opinions of children to the side and do what they believe is best for them. I remember being that child who was often told "because I said so". This frustrated me to feel as though I could not think for myself. It is important that adults remember that children have a voice and know themselves best.

    Working with children in daycare, I listen to what it is that interests them and what they want to do in order to make it fun for them. If, for some reason I am not able to incorporate their suggestions, I provide them with a reason as to why. I feel as though they respect your decisions more if they are given the rationale behind it.

    I agree that we have a lot to learn from children. I believe that their discoveries are just as important to our learning as it is to theirs. Children often have different ways and perspectives of looking at things and are just as capable of new discoveries as we are.

    I love what Aviva did with her class for Valentine's day. This was definitely a teachable moment! I think the students are lucky to be learning with someone like her.

    Great post!!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ana,

    I also follow Aviva and loved her "Kindness Catchers" idea and the idea of incorporating the ideas and opinions of students into classroom events and activities. After all, if they have no say, and there is no compromising involved how will you know if they will all enjoy the events and activities you have planned?

    I also really liked the fact that you mentioned the personal narratives assignment that we all did, and how you were able to learn about the cultural and personal frameworks and how those experiences influence us. As I was reading this I could not help but think the same thing! I enjoyed having an assignment like that and not only being able to learn about myself and the ways my experiences have influenced me, but how experiences that may have been similar to my own influenced others in different ways. Would you consider incorporating an assignment similar to this into your future classroom?

    Thanks for sharing!
    Meagan Winger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that including a personal narrative assignment in my classroom could be a really positive learning experience! Having said this, I think there needs to be a certain level of trust among the students, therefore such an assignment may be best fitted into instruction near the middle/end of the year when students feel comfortable with each other. I think the benefits of making connections with peers in terms of experiences that you, as an individual, feel alone in can create very deeply rooted relationships!

      Delete